More Catching Up 15:08

On the 3rd May we went to an open show, just Elton showing – his last open show in puppy! He decided to go out with a bang, as he was Best Puppy in Breed and then PUPPY GROUP ONE! Both mum and I were in tears…Elton is very special anyway as I bought him with money from granny after she died, but having just lost grandad as well…I expect you can imagine. He went beautifully in the Best Puppy in Show ring, but she wasn’t interested in the little dogs. I liked the fact he ended his puppy career with two puppy group 1s – his first open show, and his last (in puppy) open show!

Three days later we went up to Stafford for Birmingham National Championship Show. Elton was 2nd in a very nice Puppy Dog class, and then won Novice Dog! He was meant to be in the Puppy Stakes as well (this being his last ever show as a puppy), but upon looking at the catalogue I discovered I’d mucked up the entry and put him in the Special Beginner Stakes instead! As it happened it was irrelevant because when I put him down outside the ring he totally freaked – no idea why, but it wasn’t worth risking just for a stakes class. So I didn’t take him in.

I think it was just after that (possibly before – but it certainly lasted up until the 19th May or so) that he started going all peculiar anyway. I put it down to teenagehood and new fear phases and hormones! He was spooking and being scared at things that I didn’t think he was….and I have my kitchen fenced off as a large puppy pen. Elton goes in there when not supervised, because he and Darwin get carried away and wind each other up. In the mornings I feed the older two, then put them outside and get Elton out of the pen to feed/train him. For about a week he wouldn’t come out of the pen, he wouldn’t even come up to me and if he did he’d cower and try to roll over like I was going to beat him! If I offered him food he’d take it and just drop it. Then he snapped out of it as suddenly as it’d come on! All very odd.

The 14th May was Elton’s first birthday I bought a balloon, mainly for photographic purposes – I’m really impressed! The guy in the shop said it should last a week or two (inflated on the 14th)…it looked really good for a month, and although looking a little deflated now it’s still attached to Elton’s bed happily floating! I made a birthday cake, which went down well with all three boys!

The next day I went to a breed club show – taking Elton, Jason and Tosca. My little boy, on his very first day out of puppy, was in his first Junior Dog class! Also in Yearling Dog (12-24mths) and Phalene Dog. He was 2nd in Junior, 1st in Yearling, 1st in Phalene and Reserve Best Phalene in Show! Not bad for 12 months and 1 day :-D Jason was 2nd in Open Dog and Reserve Best Dog – second year running I’ve handled him to that placing! Tosca won Limit Bitch, Best Bitch and then Reserve Best in Show! Which made her Best Phalene in Show automatically. What an incredible day.

Oh and somewhere in the middle of that I had Pippin, Elton’s brother, to stay. Must’ve been end of April because I had him for that companion show on 25th…he was meant to be coming to live for a while, but in the end I only had him three weeks because Solei would NOT settle down with him – he was constantly tried to mount him, and it wasn’t fair on all concerned…so he went back to T.

22nd May it was off to another companion show – no obedience this time. Vale (our 10yo Lab) came :-) I love it when she comes along, showing her is so much fun. Elton did his first “big boys” AV Non-Sporting class and came 3rd – very respectable, considering he still hadn’t got the hang of behaving on grass! Darwin won AV Open and was Reserve Best in Show! I didn’t show Solei at all. Vale did three classes – she was 2nd in Waggiest Tail, 3rd in Best Veteran and 1st in Best Condition! It was a lovely day, really nice show – though a bit too hot!

The next Friday was Bath Champ Show. Elton didn’t go badly at all and was 4th in his Junior Dog class, and then 5th in the Junior Dog Stakes!

I think that’s enough for now, because the next day Solei and I embarked on our first open obedience show which’ll be quite longwinded - so that’s for the next post!

0 comments:

Post a Comment