Did I ever mention how much I hate retrieve?! 15:36

Retrieve and I just don't get on :lol:

After the struggle I had with Solei (not a natural retriever at all), eventually perfecting a toy retrieve and then FINALLY getting him to retrieve a dumbbell....for all of about 6 weeks before he went totally unnecessary and I have yet to get him comfortable with a dumbbell again (currently on a long break from it).

Then came Elton - once I got him past the "omg the dumbell's so heavy I can't possibly hold it!" stage, although it needed a lot of work, he was so happy and enthusiastic - too much so, see my previous post!

I got a good sit/wait quite quickly by telling him to sit if he stood up, then going to pick the dumbbell up myself and recommanding before I threw it - if he stood up, I did the same thing again. If his bum stayed on the floor he was allowed to go and get it!

And then my biggest fear came true - he was doing beautiful retrieves for a couple of days (still not sitting with it in his mouth - though he did do it once! - but the duration of his hold was increasing and he would lie down (on command) and keep hold of it) and then he decided he was bored. He lost the excitement and enthusiasm and wouldn't pick it up. If he did deign to, he would bring it a couple of steps, spit it out and then come back to me!

Deep breath, don't panic...obviously now I've spoilt his "game" it's boring. So the dumbbell is now away for a couple of weeks, and I have my fingers incredibly tightly crossed that a break from it will do the trick and I'll be able to get the enthusiasm and excitement back, whilst keeping the self control he's learnt.

Maybe I should get a Retriever as my next dog!

So that covers my retrieve goals (wait & hold) - on hold! Though progress has been made.

As far as heelwork goes, I decided it was worth reteaching to the wrong chair so we've been practicing that and I've got to say I <3 that dog. I think we've reestablished the heelwork position, and I'm impressed lol

Elton & I practicing some heelwork last night.
Bit bouncy in places, it was the very beginning of the session and he hadn't settled.

We've been doing some work on instantly letting go of the toy, and I think we still have a way to go, especially in a competition environment.

I'm feeling rather frustrated/discouraged today....yesterday I tried Elton with the "proper" chair for the first time  (obviously he's used to the chair from shows, going out..etc, but he's only been to about 3 obedience classes and I've only done very loose HW with him so far because of concentration and the way the class works).

First problem - I can't decide how close he should work - obviously he can't touch the wheel which he basically does with the manual - and if I have him working too close I'm concerned about running him over, but if I have him too far away he loses position a bit because he has nothing to keep him consistent.

Second (bigger) problem - I can't see him properly!! He's a smaller dog than Solei, and that extra bit of size apparently makes a big difference. Seriously thinking about seeing if i can get a "wing mirror" which may help.

But it's just so discouraging because I love the way he feels in the manual chair. I feel amazing when I'm working with him - so connected, if you know what I mean? - and it's all just so much fun....swapping to the electric I just don't feel as connected, more stressed, less in control and just not as fun. I expect (hope) it'll get better and I don't doubt he's capable, it just frustrated/upset me to feel the way I did, I really wasn't expecting it to be so different. I'm usually ok, but that was one of those moments where I was cursing how much harder the way I am makes everything!

And this is before I have to get used to a new chair!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment