Halfway Through 2012 14:13

As I'm twiddling my thumbs cos I should be at a show with Ria today but can't because she is very much in full season and it's now June (I can't believe that, but still - the calendar assures me it is!) I thought it would be good to review the 2012 goals I made at the beginning of the year, and see how we're doing...and how things have changed.

Starting with Solei...apparently this hasn't been so productive. This was the list (with current status in brackets after each point) -

Achieve his P-Beg-Ex title in obedience. At the very least get a few more points towards it! (No. Though we've only had 2 attempts towards more points, and there is time yet this year.)
Overcome the scary cavern that is the chute (I haven't had any access to a chute, so that's been a non starter)
Learn to weave (He does not (yet) get 2x2s, not sure if that's gonna work for him or not. I've been encouraging shaping with other things and I'll probably try again at some point. He will just happily stand and stare and wait for instructions, he's not good at using his own initiative. But channel weaves were a disaster with him too, V weaves may be worth a try...but I don't have access to those.)
Get a Best Veteran Dog and/or a Best Veteran in Show (Not yet...but he has only done two shows and he came close at one (2nd to the Best Veteran Dog)

So...umm...yeah, none of the above! But I suppose I was relatively ambitious with him, given this is Solei and half those things have been on my list for ages. I would still keep all the same points on that list, and also add play - I want to be able to "turn on" his tug desire (which is awesome in the right situation) in any situation and with less effort from me to get it started. So this summer I plan to take toy and try and instigate short play in lots of different situations. Still not sure what I want to do with him re agility.

Elton...oh this is looking better.
Start the journey to his P-Beg Ex title and have achieved at least a couple of points by the end of the year. (Check! He gained his first 2 points at his very first attempt. 8 to go.)
Start agility classes (Check :-) Started foundation classes in April)
Be competent at every piece of equipment by the end of this year (Having now started with him I think this was ambitious - he is very uncomfortable with the seesaw, haven't got to the other contact equipment yet. I also can't teach him to weave til I figure out how to solve my problem (can't use food, need to stop him doing victory laps with thrown toy and relatively quickly losing interest! Though we do still have 6 months.)
The retrieve. :-P (Semi-check! He now has a very passable retrieve, I just still need to generalize it more and want more confidence)
Achieve his ShCM title this year (ok this is unlikely, but I'd like at least 5 more points towards it please!) (No...but I've hardly shown him at shows where he can achieve points towards it)

Very pleased with that! #2 can come off, the rest can stay - more points to his P-Beg Ex would be all good, the retrieve still needs some more work for it to be solid and ShCM will never come off until he gets it! I will revise #3 - from the above, to for him to be more confident with each piece of equipment by the end of the year than he was when he started.

and finally Ria.

Start her obedience show career properly, and for her to enjoy it
Hold at least a 1 minute stay in competition by the end of the season (not tried this yet so not sure, but think she may worry depending on what happens around her, so will be taking it very slowly)
To not run out of the ring when she starts competing in agility later this year
(These first 3 are covered by the same point - she's been much, much slower to mature than I thought she would be and I'm not going to rush her...so we haven't even attempted the first three items on the list, and I doubt we will this year.)
Dramatically improve her reactivity to other dogs (Yes :-) Still a work in progress, but much improved)
Improve toy drive (I think so...she's never going to be totally tuggy obsessed, but she *can* do so and she loves her ball - when I have money am hoping to buy a new toy to try and combine ball and tug)
Be generally awesome at everything she does <3 (I hope so ;-))

So I suppose that could be worse! I need to rethink her list entirely, but maybe that'll be for 2013 :-P

0 comments:

Post a Comment