Mud = Lucky 16:29

Took Ria to ringcraft on Tuesday cos I wanted to make sure she was ok with her mouth, and I am still somewhat unsettled by that show in Dec! She was fine, so that was good. Ringcraft 3rd Jan

Friday I took Elton to check out the new hall for obedience - they had to move back in Nov/Dec and I hadn't yet seen it. I wanted to go without a dog to see if it was suitable for Ria or not, but Elton decided he ought to come and check it out too :-P I'm not sure - I think the actual working space is slightly bigger, but they've fenced off a tiny area at the top of it where you come in, which is going to be terrible for Ria if there are dogs waiting there. So I sat and watched for a bit, and although it was more chaotic earlier in the evening, by the time class #3 went in it was ok - and #4 is the last class, so there won't be anyone arriving. I have decided to give #3 a try next week as I have a show on Saturday and really don't want to be out as late as class 4 would entail, and see what happens - maybe try her in that class the following week depending on what happens. I wouldn't be so bothered, but with Crufts coming up, and she hasn't done any stay practice with other dogs - and that is a weak spot, because she can worry. So we'll give it a go and see what happens.

Then yesterday I went to another show! I really wasn't optimistic, and it started badly - we got lost, which meant we arrived later than intended. The venue was the worst venue for space I'd ever been to, and we couldn't find a parking space. Then we couldn't find anywhere to go in the hall, at which point if we hadn't travelled 75 miles I'd have just gone sod it and gone home :-P Instead, Ria and I went for a walk!

The venue was right next to a huge sports field on both sides of the hall, but there was no fencing and a fairly busy road on two of the sides - so I daren't risk it, especially as it was very likely Ria'd see another dog and then she is very likely to just bark and run with no concept of where she's going. So I wandered down the road and reached the end to discover a lovely grass area, road at one side but not nearly as busy and other than that fairly safe - another road on one side, but one that only went to houses, so no traffic. There was a man with two Labradors off lead so I figured it was probably a fairly popular dog walking spot, and waited for him to disappear before I let her off. She had a lovely time charging around as Ria does, there was a path which looked as if it went into nice dog walking territory, but I knew time was going and I ought to get back so decided to head for the path....at which point I got stuck in the mud :-X

Had to wait for someone to come and rescue me! Luckily, after trying to flag someone down who spoke no English - always helpful :-P - I was very close to houses and someone eventually came out and then someone else joined them and they got me out! Oh, and did I mention my puppy who had yet to go in the ring was now covered in mud...?

I decided to walk back to the show a different way (taking Ria through some nice wet grass on the way!), and of course I got lost didn't I. Asked someone the way and it turned out I wasn't far wrong, but they told me to "go down this road and turn right"...unfortunately they should've said left!! So I ended up back at the same grass area I started at. Oops.

Though at least that meant I knew where I was?! It also gave time for the mud to dry and some of it to fall off :-P

So there I am back at the show with about 15 dogs left to be judged before she goes in the ring, trying to remove the rest of the mud with a brush, comb, wet wipes, self rinse shampoo and baby powder! I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it came off, and although she wasn't quite as white as usual she wasn't actually muddy - if that makes sense!

Anyway, must've been lucky mud cos she won AVNSC Junior and Best Puppy :-D Nothing in the puppy group; she almost got puppy group 4 but after the judge went between her and the Irish Setter a few times and studied them from all angles she gave it to the Irish Setter (and yes, there were more than 5 dogs in the ring :-P)
Elton was lucky to get a 4th, judge never even looked at him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment