Elton Begins Agility (properly) 18:12

It's been a mad few weeks. Mainly full of agility!

Elton started foundation classes the first Wednesday of April, obviously hasn't done much yet, but he adores it so far. I love his enthusiasm, such a happy little boy. He's totally different from Ria which is nice for me. Ria is much more independent, fab at distance work but not always tuned in to me, not nearly so toy driven. Early days, but what I'm seeing in Elton so far is what I expected - much more tuned in to me, prefers to stay closer, more reliable! lol - but I think it'll change some with confidence (not all for the better :-)). I don't think the distance will be a problem, cos he'll drive ahead nicely for a reward. He just needs more confidence, which'll come with time.

Done 3 shows - 1 breed club show with Elton and Solei and 2 gundog group shows with Ria. Breed club show could've been better (a 2nd, 3rd & 4th) but from the 2 shows Ria came away with 2 Best of Breeds :-) And currently typing this in the car on our way back home from a decidedly soggy WELKS! It poured with rain all day, as I had a long walk between Ria and Elton's rings I was very grateful the tents were attached to the buildings so it was all undercover! Worth the trip though - Ria won her class, and Elton had another 3rd in a lovely Limit class with 18 entered.

Have got a couple of extra agility classes in with Ria, and did a training day a couple of weeks ago which did not go well (suffice to say a new venue blew her baby brain :-P), but I had some interesting input and encouraging words.

It's been so wet recently that it's been impossible to do anything much. In class last week I was given a tunnel and set of weaves to work with, and once she was concentrating she produced some lovely work, hit the entries and the tunnel also gave her more speed. She missed out the middle pole a couple of times because she couldn't collect in time, but that'll soon improve. The next day we had one of those rare things called a dry day and so I got my weaves out, because her entries need more work on one side (I broke them by doing too much on the other, oops) and whether it was the tunnel or coincidence, but she seemed to have her stride pattern :-D she was going through them so rhythmically, and with more speed. So thrilled with that, and when it dries up enough I'll go back out, hope it wasn't a one off :-P and get some video.

0 comments:

Post a Comment