First Open Obedience Show of 2012 22:46

Had the most fabulous agility session on Saturday. Over an hour where I had a couple of jumps, 6 weaves (though we never got that far), access to the aframe and seesaw and was left to my own devices :-D

I'd devised a rough plan beforehand, the aframe was a bonus as I didn't know I'd be able to use that.

So we (Ria & I) started off with the contact equipment, as it was in the main part of the field and not the side bit I usually use. She's done tons of end work but - bar one encounter with a lowered seesaw - only did her first piece (a lowered dog walk) a couple weeks ago.

Seesaw - Very pleased with this. Second time doing a seesaw in its entirety and first time at full height. I let her bang the end down a couple of times first so she knew what to expect (esp as she's only been doing the dog walk recently, didn't want her to mistake it and get a nasty shock!) but quickly progressed to her off lead and me on either side and slightly varying where I was in relation to her. Contacts held up nicely too :-)

Aframe - This was interesting, she's done a small amount of end work, but never been over it. We started on lead, she wasn't too sure the first time but it was rubber which helped (previous encounter was painted) and it wasn't long before she was doing that off lead too. I swapped sides a couple of times but didn't want to do too many repetitions. It did highlight an interesting dilemma with the contacts - I've done 2o2o with her, had thought I may like to reteach the aframe as running at some point in the future, because personally I feel it's (physically) better for the dog...however, she was getting speed over the aframe that made it very difficult for her to stop on it, and I don't want her slamming into the bottom either! If I insisted in a 2o2o she was much slower, though I know that could change. I prefer the running, but have never taught running before and also don't want to mess up the rest of her contacts, which are currently very good (and I want to keep 2o2o for now to give me a bit more time!) Decisions...think it'll have to be 2o2o cos I don't think I have enough access to equipment for running.

Then we moved on to jumps, at which point Elton got to come out and play too! Started some work on Developing Jumping Skills (well, such as I've been able to work out from YouTube as I don't yet have the book) and with Elton I played around with sending him to a target over 1 and then 2 jumps as he needs a lot of work on driving ahead, also did some jump work with me next to/in front of him on both sides, as jumping is still a relatively new skill for him. Not at full height yet. with Ria I introduced a 3rd jump and mixed things up - sometimes sending her on, sometimes pulling her back after 1 jump, sometimes pulling her back after 2..etc

I can honestly say it was the best outdoor session I've ever had. Ria's focus was almost 100%.

Then on Sunday we had the first open obedience show of the year. I'd entered all 3 in the PreBeginner Stakes and the boys in Pre-Beginners too. Very mixed day!

I trained Ria's round because she's nowhere near ready for competition yet. I have also neglected to do any practice at all since Crufts, and it showed. Oops. It wasn't the most productive round ever, but it gave her positive ring experience, and she did do a lovely recall.

Solei was not brilliant at his last obedience show (UK Toy) and I was worried because that's his favourite venue - nice hard surface indoors - so I thought if he's not good there then.... but both the rounds were actually well suited for him, and I was very pleased with him bar the last stretch of heel free in Pre-Beginners where he lost concentration completely so I don't think he's ready for retirement quite yet!

Solei and Elton both did nice Pre-Beginner Stakes rounds, and then I missed the stays :-( gutted is not the word. I'd had Elton down to work his Pre-Beginners round, by the time he got in the ring it was not long before stays and they'd moved the stay ring and it was completely hidden, so by the time I'd gone back to the car to get Solei and then had to ask where it was cos I couldn't find it I got there just in time to hear last command.....insult to injury everybody said to me after I should've said something and they'd have waited! With stays Solei would've been 6th and Elton would've been 2nd :-( Only consolation is Elton didn't lose 1/2 a mark less or he'd have tied for 1st and THAT would've been awful!

Elton was an absolute star...his first open show Pre-Beginners round. He was terrible to get into heel position before we started, I think because there was a large black dog working in the ring next door that happened to be by the ring rope next to our ring as I was by the ring rope next to their ring - if that makes sense! - but once I got him into position and we started, his heelwork was lovely. He got a 3rd, after a run off for 2nd/3rd :-D

And that was my weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment