More companion shows 16:50

Mmm, interesting times!

Took Ria for a trip to a feed store on Wednesday to pick up some more dog food - which they didn't have! So will have to go elsewhere...but it was another new experience for her. I did a little obedience in the aisles, all good practise! Got to make the most of every opportunity haha :-)

Solei went back to agility on Thursday! After having the whole of June off, I was interested to see what he would do. Ria was very happy to see her friend (a young Bearded Collie) again, and apparently ate enough horse poo to give herself explosive diarrhoea and keep me up half the night. Yay puppy.

Solei...wow, bottle it kplzthx! He was actually interested in a toy as well as food so I was able to throw it for him and interchange them throughout the class which was awesome. His first sequence he was enjoying himself so much he ran past half the jumps, then came back and did them at lightning speed and then had to run a few circles XD He was completely out of control, but oh boy was he enjoying himself! After that he settled and was going really well. We'll see if it's worn off for next week, but this week we both had an awful lot of fun. Might be life in the old dog yet :-) But this is exactly what makes it so difficult to know what to do (or not) with him.

Spent the weekend at two companion shows - Saturday was really good, if Ria shows that well when it comes to the bigger shows I'll be happy :-) I thought she may have won but she was very much the baby (especially as they're meant to be 6 months and she isn't actually yet lol) and was beaten by a "mini adult" Border Terrier - still, 2nd to the BPIS we won't complain at!

Vale had 1st in Best Companion Dog, and there was also an obstacle course (which was actually a combination of rally and agility) which I did with Solei and Ria (adapting it to be age appropriate, obviously).

Ria decided the tire was really scary, and the yellow/white and red/white jumps were going to get her...but the blue/white ones weren't so bad :-P We had the honour of the slowest time on the course whilst I worked through her...umm..."issues"!

Solei on the other hand went really well :-) and completed the course with no penalties and in the 5th fastest time.

Sunday was rather a disaster - we got hopelessly lost to start with, and arrived late - the puppy class was already in the ring. I was actually surprised we hadn't missed it, but I got Ria into it by the skin of my teeth! She didn't show as well as Sunday, but the ground wasn't as good either - it has an even bigger impact on her that it does on the Paps, because I can't go as fast (the chair puts power into dealing with the bumps, so is physically unable to go as fast!) so we'll have to hope for a relatively smooth surface when she's showing outside! She had a 3rd, so still not bad.

Vale was 2nd in Golden Oldies (9+), Vale + Elton were actually binned in the Irish (most different) Brace - yeah, I mean a large yellow Labrador and a small black & white Phalene...I can see how you'd think they're too similar. They're even opposite ages (born 1999 & 2009) and genders! Solei & Elton faired slightly better in the regular brace, getting 3rd - I must get a proper brace lead for them.

Elton did some superb obedience in the car park on Saturday, and outside the ring on Sunday....then when I got him in the ring in the Irish Brace he locked on to a smell and I lost him again :-( I was just getting excited! But it's still progress, so as long as we get there in the end - before too long - I'll be happy.

I meant to try some lemon juice under his nose as two people have suggested it now, but forgot! So will have to try and remember to try that before his next important show. Don't want to try it for something important incase it distracts him.

Yesterday we got through another obedience class with no drama! Ria was fantastic, very proud of her...and Elton was very good too :-) He even held a 3 minute down stay! Then sat up as I went back :-P

0 comments:

Post a Comment