Random dog update and Elton's first Limit class 20:35

We're into a really hectic couple of weeks now. Solei had a two day obedience show this weekend, so on Monday I decided I'd better take him to obedience as he hasn't been for nearly a year. So off I went....only nobody else turned up! The trainer cancelled as it was just him and me, at least it's only 5 minutes from home :-P Best laid plans! It's held up on the polo fields, so before we came home I did a very small amount with him on my own – a few steps of heelwork, a retrieve and then a couple more steps...well!

I actually had a problem with him working too far forward, which I never thought I’d say about Solei. If anything (especially on grass) he lags because he worries about the chair bumping. I’ve never seen him do such a diabolical heel position! He was so enthusiastic and up for it he was working too far forward, which then meant to look up at me his head was turned slightly backwards...which then made him crab and he ended up working in completely the wrong position – but he was so enjoying it! His retrieve was OTT – run out to item, not see it, run a large circle back to me, get sent out to get it again, eventually find it this time and mess about on the way back cos he was just too excited. So all that only lasted a couple of minutes, it was so nice to see him so enthusiastic but there was no point persisting with him – he was too all over the place, and I wanted to end whilst he was really enjoying himself – and so then he had a run on the field before we came home. Now THAT is the dog I want to bottle – though directing that enthusiasm into enthusiastic correct “work” rather than just all over the place would be good :-)

I don't usually let him off because firstly his recall isn't brilliant - he gets so focused on smells he ends up oblivious and it worries me that he'll get on a trail and go goodness knows where, and secondly (and mainly) because of other people's dogs! Not long after I got him he was chased by a husky, only escaped because there was a fence with a Solei sized gap in it - the husky stood there waiting for him to come back out, it meant it :-( They're just so small and vunerable. So he enjoyed that!

Then when he was back on lead I let Ria off....she's only been off lead twice and not for a couple of weeks cos I just haven't had the opportunity, so I was slightly apprehensive....she was fantastic :-D 100% recall! I've worked so hard on her recall, just got to keep it now!

Tuesday was ringcraft, it came and went! I still need more training, and she still needs to learn how to move properly - she either pulls like a tank so movement is unassessable, or looks up/back at me which throws her movement off.

Took Solei to agility on Thursday, he was fine - didn't take Ria because of having a champ show today, I just wanted to go there and back quickly!

So then today there was Bath championship show! Elton's breeders have been telling me to put him up to Limit since he came out of Junior (last November) but I wanted to hold off a bit for him to mature mentally. I kept saying I would when he was two....and now he's two! So he was entered in his first Limit Dog class.

I was very pleased to get a 3rd with him in a strong class, behind two very big names! He already has his Stud Book Number from his Junior Warrant, but had he not it would have got him his Stud Book Number :-) So he has it twice now!

He then also got a 4th in the Special Beginner Stakes, under a terrier judge who's first three choices were all terriers....so Elton was top toy too!

It was a lovely day, even stayed dry (unhead of for Bath) but a hellish journey home - coming south west at the beginning of a bank holiday weekend in lovely weather is not a good idea! What should have taken less than an hour and a half took three hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment