Ria's First Obedience Class 18:30

I fail these days :-P It's hopeless when I don't write every 2 or 3 days cos it all gets forgotten!

So last Friday (6th) I took Ria for a short walk along a cycle path. Had her off lead for some of it, but it was very busy (pedestrians & bikes) so I didn't like to have her off long....though her recall was superb :-) We practiced walking nicely without pulling when she was on lead - then I carried her the rest of the way once she'd lost concentration.

On Sunday she came to her first obedience show! I was very pleased with how she coped :-) She trotted around and was much admired by lots of people, didn't seem phased or overwhelmed - not keen on the rubbish bags, but it was incredibly windy!

Monday I took her to her first obedience class....I'd asked a couple of months ago if there was a puppy class, but their next one wasn't until June. Having worked with her at home I felt she was of a decent standard to go into the class they progress into after the 8 week puppy class, so I asked the instructor if she'd be happy to have her...and she said yes :-) So at the grand old age of 14 weeks, Ria attended her first "big girl's" obedience class!

I was very pleased with her, she was fantastic for a baby at her first class <3 We had a spot of bother with the "down" command (it's been the most difficult command to teach her so far, and she'd only just learnt it - at which point she started going into a down when she was meant to be sitting, so I stopped. Thus it's a newly taught command I haven't done any work on!), but she did some lovely walking, super attention, lovely recall and once I got her to lie down a fab stay :-)

Tuesday was ringcraft again. For the first time I queued up with all the big boys (week #1 she was so overwhelmed I kept her on the little dog side, week #2 was a match so not applicable - this was week #3!) and she was fine :-) Not too sure of a couple of the Alaskan Malamutes, but certainly not a quivering wreck! I need more practice than she does at the moment - haven't quite got my head around how best to handle a puppy on the floor rather than the table! She keeps ending up on two legs when the judge is going over her! The chair is just too big and inviting to not jump at...

Took her back into town on Wednesday, which was all really positive :-) A motorcycle passed us and she didn't freak - reacted, but not really badly - and she even walked a little way - no dramatic incidents, all positive socialization :-D

Agility as usual on Thursday, she played with a Border Collie puppy a couple of weeks younger than her - but she was a bit full on for Ria!

Dad is puppy sitting tomorrow whilst I take the boys to South of England Pap Club open show (just Elton showing) - so that'll be fun for him!

0 comments:

Post a Comment