Elton Embarrassement & I meet Ria's sister 21:11

Elton disgraced himself on Saturday! It was Southern Counties Championship Show.

I got him in the ring and he glued his nose to the floor. I tried to stand him, and he would NOT listen - he was obsessed with this spot on the floor. I pulled him away, he dragged me back...so I moved him off the spot, circled him, waved food in front of his nose....he eventually conceded to stand very badly with his tail half down looking thoroughly miserable for about a second before he went back to the ground! By this point the judge had finished looking at all the other dogs and was standing in front of me waiting....he stood there a while, eventually gave up because Elton would just not cooperate.

So he threw any chance of doing anything in that class away before we even started! To add insult to injury when we were all going around he then found another smell (had been going quite well) and decided to drop to the floor to attend to it....literally, just flattened himself. Whilst looking at me with a "you beat me" look!! Ground swallow me up now please.....

He does do that, but never in the ring before - he'll do it if he wants to poop (which he didn't, he'd been before we went in the ring) because he has to find the right "spot" (usually up against something) so he won't just go - has to be dramatic! - and he'll also do it on walks if he wants to stop for any reason, usually to sniff or pee (he doesn't get away with it :-P).

Luckily for him it wasn't a wasted journey as the people that have Katie, Ria's sister, were caravanning so I'd arranged to go over and see her :-) Can't believe how different they are! I was so nervous about seeing her in case Ria looked awful in comparison (comforted by the fact at least they wouldn't be seeing Ria so I would have time to "prepare"!), but I think it was positive...Katie probably has a slightly sounder temperament, but I'm working hard with Ria and she's not bad. The whole time I was there I was trying to gauge size in my head...find things to compare Katie to so that I could then do the same with Ria once we got home.

It was very difficult, not least because as I say they are so different....and Katie is very fat, Ria is leggy and rather lean at the moment. However, I'm not sure Ria is that much taller :-) So fingers crossed!

It's been bothering me that I haven't done nearly as much as I've wanted to with Ria over the last few weeks. She's done little besides attending ringcraft/obedience/agility and the occasional show. So yesterday I made myself get her out (so little energy, so much to do!) because I knew if I didn't do it then it wouldn't get done that week, too much else on!

We are "lucky" enough to have a motorway bridge not far from home - far enough that we don't hear it, but only a very short walk. So at lunch time Ria and I walked up there and sat on the bridge for a bit! I'd taken her lunch up with me so I could feed her as since the motorbike incident engines are not her strong point, esp revving/at speed or motorbikes! She was really good...I was pleasantly surprised. Even when a motorbike came past. Food helps :-D We walked back a different way where she could be off lead, she's growing in confidence and enjoyed that! She still doesn't go far from me but she was running circles and zig zags which was nice to see....recall was still very good :-)

Later that day I did something I may live to regret and invited her up on the bed for a "proper" cuddle for the first time! It was wonderful <3 We had such a nice time snuggling. Love that puppy.

Then this evening I took her to obedience again. Nothing much to report, it was a very large class (10 I think) because they've just finished a puppy course....it happens every 8 weeks! The puppy class finishes and they all come up to the next class, then after a week or two enthusiasm dies, most of them disappear and everything goes back to "normal"! Ria was very good, it's nice to have one or two younger puppies in the class with her; though she's still the youngest.

Ringcraft tomorrow and then another Ch show on Thursday....please let Elton behave :-P

0 comments:

Post a Comment