Ria's Llama Encounter 15:01

Took Ria to ringcraft on Tuesday, which was outside for the first time this year. Nice to get some practice on grass at this time of year! Especially as Ria will be doing her first show (outside) in just over 5 weeks (where has the time gone?!) and the only practice we'd done on grass was the companion show last Saturday.

She was very good as usual, though not so much on the move - we definitely need more practice on grass! Dropped treats and so many SMELLS! To say nothing of rabbit poo....

I've been feeling guilty about not getting her out enough....or rather not to enough different places. In recent weeks we've done little outside ringcraft, obedience or agility classes and maybe a show (which will usually be lots of different experiences as the types of shows I'm taking her to are often held alongside fetes or other attractions). I have a lot of issues with energy due to my condition, and it's been so chaotic lately all the energy I have - and some I don't! - has just gone.

So Wednesday I took her into town. I'm definitely making progress with her :-) I had plenty of treats, but she walked along the high street (first time she's ever done that, it was delayed because of her problems with engines after the motorbikes) which was fantastic :-D Then I sat outside the supermarket with her and we did a bit of practise at walking nicely on a lead (we're still working on the concept of the reinforcement zone, often not too successfully lol) and also at her picking up stuff for me :-)

I can't remember what I've posted here about my plans for Ria - I bought her for show, obedience and agility - but also to attempt to train as my service dog. We haven't got any further than picking things up for me (which is a work in progress - she's pretty good, but I still need to generalise the behaviour a bit more) but she's already making a difference :-) So often I drop things and she will (eventually) pick them up for me....quite funny as when we were outside the supermarket there was a cardboard fast food container, which she decided I obviously wanted - so she picked it up and gave it to me! haha <3

Yesterday saw us at another companion show. We pulled into the car park to be met by llamas! There was a look of horror on Ria's face (though not as much as the llamas :-)), as she barked and barked at them for all she was worth. However, once out of the crate she quickly calmed down and was merely curious at these funny creatures.

In the ring she showed very well, though the ground was horrendous so moving was interesting anyway. She caused great hilarity amongst those watching when whilst waiting for her turn she had one of her "moments" which involves shooting from one end of the lead to the other, throwing a few circles in the mix, and trying to get everyone and everything to play! There was a pug sitting outside the ring which she barked and backed off from at first, it's interesting how so many dogs don't like the brachycephalic breeds - to start with, anyway.

I was told by someone she doesn't look 6 months - funny that :-) I almost put my foot in it when I replied!

As far the others, Elton didn't show (he's overqualified for the pedigree classes), Solei had a 2nd (out of two :-P) in AV Toy - only put him in because there was an AV Toy. He moved well, but I could tell the moment I got him out of his crate he wasn't right...funny, because he'd been fine 15 minutes earlier! He may have jolted something jumping on my lap I suppose - and Vale had a 2nd in Best Veteran & nothing in waggiest tail.

0 comments:

Post a Comment