My difficult and confusing boys! 18:52

I keep meaning to put fingers to keyboard for an update about my boys, but every time my brain has the energy to compose anything I seem to need to do a Ria catch up!

So - Solei. I've been doing a lot of thinking about him over the last couple of weeks....I really don't know what to do. We can't seem to fully get on top of whatever is going on with him, but some of the time he's really enjoying what he's doing and he's very good, some of the time he's just not there. If he was just not enjoying it then the decision would be easy....but when he's on form he seems to really enjoy it. He will have another chiropractor appointment in about 3 weeks, so I'll see what she says.

In particular I'm not sure about the agility....I think I'd be kidding myself to think he's ever going to get to competition level - though he may manage a UKA casual jumping class, eventually!

I was at the point of throwing in the towel, but I've decided to take him back this month and see what happens. I'll give him the rest of the year to see what happens with the obedience (which in reality is less than two months because of the "off season") and then I guess decisions will have to be made....

He has his seventh birthday in just over two weeks time so he's not a young dog, but in a breed like a Papillon (or Phalene!) where you wouldn't consider it unusual for a dog to make it to 15....

Then there is Elton! I posted in about March about the problems I've been having with him...well it hadn't got any better! Occasionally I got glimpses, but on the whole nothing had changed. So when we came home from the championship show just over three weeks ago I decided enough was enough....and my new strategy began! Since then Elton has been in Ria's puppy area - which has caused a few problems thanks to Solei and his obsession with her, but she's a fairly good puppy which is nice :-)

I've also got him eating consistantly by mixing a little egg with one meal, and a little tripe with the other.

I'm actually getting my Elton back before meal times :-D Ok I have to use high value stuff as he still won't eat kibble or naturediet, but the attitude is back :-D

Mum sat with him in the hall during Ria's obedience class last week and when I came out I tried to do a little obedience with him....have tried this a couple of weeks previously and he didn't want to know. I even tried a class a few weeks ago - disaster! Well tonight outside the class he was great :-D So I'll do the same next week, and if the same thing happens I'll take Elton in to the next class and see what happens :-)

He showed better than he has for a month today, but it was inside which probably helped.

So hopefully onwards and upwards as far as he is concerned....as long as next week goes to plan I'll be taking him back to obedience, in other things he'll continue showing and I'm umming about starting agility with him this autumn/winter. The big problem with agility is the floor at the place we train at...it literally dreadlocks the coat. It's bad enough with Solei, but Elton is nearer the ground and has more coat...I'm just not sure I want to deal with it, especially whilst I'm trying to keep him in show condition!

0 comments:

Post a Comment