Ria's Teeth! 18:15

I think Ria enjoyed her time at the obedience show on Sunday! She wasn't as worried about the trains as I thought she would be, and it was lovely to get her out and about around the show. We did a few little bits of obedience and she was fantastic for just 4 months <3

I spoke with Ria's breeder on Monday night, I've been slightly concerned about her size for a while...when I told her what she measured there was an exclamation followed by a deathly silence! Yeah, not good. She said she was perturbed!

On Tuesday morning she rang back and said she didn't like to ask the owners of her sister what she measured because she didn't want to draw attention to her height, but she'd found out what her sister weighed - 7kg! Massive - this is a breed that should only be 9-11kg as an adult. They are experienced and hadn't said they were concerned about her size, I've since found out she is very overweight so that explains that. But anyway!

Ria hadn't been weighed in 6 weeks, so on Tuesday afternoon I took her to be weighed - the first place we went to I know the scales aren't always 100% and I didn't believe them! So off we went to a second place....and she weighed 4.5kg :-) She is a little on the lean side so I'm making it 5kg to (hopefully) be safe....which isn't out of the way for a Kooiker puppy of her age, so please cross your fingers she's done most of her growing early and she won't grow much taller now.

I looked online and found two formulas for working out adult weight....one said double their weight at 4 months - so makes her 9-10kg, which would be spot on and the other said take their weight at 14 weeks, double it and then add half again....now I had to guess what she weighed at 14 weeks, but at 12 weeks she was 3.5kg and she's been putting on an average of about 0.3kg every two weeks, so I was (hopefully) slightly generous and assumed she was 4kg at 14 weeks. 4 + 4 + 2 = 10kg So hopefully it's a good sign that two different formulas come to the about same weight, which is also about what I'd expect a "normal" Kooiker bitch to be. Fingers crossed!

Yesterday was the Bath & West show, so that was another new experience for Ria! She met some of my dog friends for the first time, and got to experience the show atmosphere. It amuses me, in the time I've had her I already have 4 people on a waiting list for puppies - and they're serious! Not that there is a waiting list yet :-) Don't even know for sure she'll be bred from - but they've all said to me to put their names down!

In other news, poor girl has lost almost all her teeth! A week ago she had them all, then on Friday evening when we came home from Bath I gave Ria a treat and she takes with teeth - doesn't snatch, but uses her teeth rather than just her tongue - and I thought "you feel a bit gummy!". Looked in her mouth and her top two front teeth had disappeared!

Since then I can't believe how quickly the rest are following suit.


This was Ria's mouth on Wednesday morning! Top two front are the adult teeth coming through. At least one more came out on Thursday, I haven't looked in the last couple of days because I didn't want to keep bothering her as her mouth must be sore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment