Quiet couple of weeks 15:03

Well the weekend saw most of the country covered in snow - however, in our small corner we have yet to see even a flake! So Ria still hasn't seen her first snow.

I didn't feel agility last week was as productive as the previous couple of weeks, though the main trainer wasn't there which may not have helped. My delightful dog also decided to throw up halfway through because she'd been eating poop on our pre-agility walk :-P Love her.

As far as classes, that's all we've done. No agility for Solei, obedience or ringcraft. And a couple of weeks off from shows too! Though I did actually end up going down to one on the 28th to help with grooming. Took Elton & Ria and had a nice walk by the Great Western Canal on the way down :-)

Instead we've been taking the time for lots of nice walks, and I've found the cul-de-sac across the road works nicely as a training area. Ria has to stay on a long line for safety, but it works. Elton is more predictable and I can happily work him loose! I want to take my weaves out there and work on that, as we actually have the space to work round the "clock".

The increased exposure to other dogs has helped Ria, and she is definitely improving. Yesterday I took her and Elton to the park, and we met a six-month-old Cocker Spaniel. For the first time she was actually sort of playing with a strange dog :-) Of course it doesn't help that almost all the dogs we meet usually are either large or terriers, so usually too scary for her!

Training for Ria has largely been concentrated on her heelwork position, which I'm really not happy with and am at a bit of a loss at the moment as to how to get it where I want it - or indeed where I want it, which really does not help! Four weeks til Crufts, arrrrgh. Though I discovered this morning she has the most awesome send away to a mat over an amazing distance :-P (knew she had a lovely one, but not over that distance!)

For Elton, it's been concentrated on getting comfortable picking up and giving me his new dumbbell - home made, very light. Gonna be useless outside if it's windy (too light to throw), but that won't be any issue til the end of May at the earliest. We have a way to go, but fingers crossed. My aim is to have him performing some semblance of a retrieve by the end of March!

Tonight is match night at ringcraft, but as I have two permanently muddy dogs that I can't be bothered to clean up :-P I shall be going without dogs! I just hope the whites come up white after bathing - Elton has a show on Sunday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment