Poorly Puppy 21:01

Ria and I almost got to try out the emergency vets yesterday. Why always out of hours?!

I woke up at 2:30am and Ria went out for a wee, all fine....heard someone being sick in the night, thought it was her but didn't think much of it as she went out again then, and seemed absolutely fine. Did another wee and a normal poo. That was about half 4 so it was some time within those two hours, I would guess it was what woke me at 4:30 but couldn't swear I hadn't gone back to sleep in between! By 9am she was being sick, had projectile diarrhoea and was totally lifeless. I had a quick "omg what do I do before 9am on a Sunday morning" panic :-P Then decided as she'd only had diarrhoea the once and she wasn't dehydrated I'd leave her for an hour or so and see if she was sick again/had any more diarrhoea. Ever mindful of how quickly puppies can go downhill, but it was a calculated decision...they couldn't really do anything I wasn't doing, and she'd have been down there so quickly if she'd shown any sign of going downhill.

So I gave her a tiny bit of sugared water via syringe, some pro-kolin and offered her some egg which she thought she ought to eat but didn't want to - ie she licked at it, took some in her mouth and then spat it out! She wasn't sick again and didn't have any more diarrhoea, so decided I was ok to leave it a bit longer - after all we were already in out of hours! - gave her some more water a couple of hours later. She went about 6 hours before she was sick again, but she wasn't any worse and possibly fractionally better....so I gave her some more pro-kolin, and she started drinking on her own. She was sick again an hour or so later...then all of a sudden - just like small children! - just before 9pm she tottered up and went out for a wee, came back in and had a drink....then ate the tiny amount of egg that'd been sitting in her crate most of the day (& tried to eat the pot!) and then started charging around and playing with her bottle!!

She fell on chicken & rice with usual enthusiasm last night and she's been fine today...including attacking every meal (either chicken/rice or egg) with gusto! I'm watching her closely because she produced two liquid poos overnight, but she's behaving normally, eating normally and hasn't been sick since yesterday. She actually hasn't pooed at all today, so whatever is happening what she's eating obviously isn't going straight through her. Watching her now (killing vet bed, throwing toys about, charging from one end to the other!) you'd never think she'd been almost at death's door yesterday.

She was so poorly, she really scared me. So lifeless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment