Ria and the Big Wide World 18:03

It's so nice to be able to put Ria on the floor! I was able to put her on the floor for the first time on Thursday, so her first experience on the floor was at agility. I was quite pleased with her....walking on a lead is another matter (she's all over the place) but she seemed to deal with the environment quite well. She met a few of the other dogs (not too sure) and I did some "stuff" with her, her focus was quite good and she was quite confident when experimenting with a large plastic block!

Yesterday she went for her first walk. Though as she can only have about 10 minutes at the moment it was a half walk half carry! I took her over to an area that's quite quiet, but it is popular with other dog walkers at certain times - and I managed to catch some! (Unintentional) So she met a friend and her Golden Retriever (he totally ignored her - not impressed!), a couple I don't know with a 13 week old Akita puppy (omg, so CUTE! Fluffy bear cub), a couple with a GSD and a Rough Collie and a man with a crossbreed. All the people talked to her (fine - she's much more confident with people now...in fact if someone stops and gives her attention she then pulls over to the next person we meet to try and get more :-P Which I will do something about, but it's good to see her that keen on people!) and she said a brief hello to most of the dogs. She's not so sure at the moment, but I've I've had to keep her away from other dogs because of not being vaccinated, so Thursday is the first time she's met dogs - other than mine/her breeder's - from the floor. Planning to do lots of work on that now, because I want to make sure she's good with other dogs (as a breed they're not always).

After we were on our own I put her on a long line, and after she got herself totally wrapped around me I decided long lines + puppies + wheelchairs do not mix! So I got brave and let her completely off lead. I was so impressed. The main reason I decided to let her off was because I thought as she'd never been for a walk before and it was an area she'd never been to before she'd hopefully be more dependant on me and not want to go far. That wasn't quite true, but her recall was AMAZING. I know it probably won't last :-P I only had her off lead for a couple of minutes, but every time I called her she came back first time....even when she was trotting in the opposite direction and she got too far ahead for my comfort so I called her back - she turned around immediately and came back to me. <3

In other news she's still growing, and I still need to get some new photos! She's taking a backseat this weekend as I have a Pap Club (specialty) show tomorrow, so today is being spent trimming/bathing dogs and then I won't be home until late tomorrow. If I have any energy left I want to try and get her out later, but given it's now gone 6pm...

0 comments:

Post a Comment