Solei's new obedience class & microchipping 09:43

Solei was good at agility last week, though we've had a trainer change and merged the two groups which is  irritating. We had two groups to start with because there were so many people, and they split them into more able (obedient!) and less able. Solei was in the more able group, which makes it more frustrating because we're the ones that have had to compromise. Last week was more basic than we have been doing, which felt a bit like we were going backwards. Did have one hair raising moment, entirely my fault. I sent Solei through a tunnel, he then decided to take the jump that was in front of the tunnel exit and then the seesaw was in front of that......
Luckily because he's a light dog it doesn't tip easily, so he jumped off the end before it had really moved and seemed to land ok....so hopefully no harm done! He's already put himself off the seesaw once a couple years ago when I think he thought it was the dog walk and took it too confidently.

I also took him to obedience on Monday. I haven't been for months - I'd basically given up on it. Almost ever since I've been going Solei has been working at a class below his level, and nobody seemed in any hurry to do anything about it and it wasn't any fun. So at the Christmas party (3 weeks ago!) I asked if he could go up to the next class. Which is where he should've been for months IMO. Anyway, she asked if he had a retrieve (yes) and then said if I'm competing with him definitely move him up. So (having accidentally attended at the wrong time last week!) on Monday he had his first go in the top class. Totally the right decision! I had more fun there than I have done for so long. Despite missing the beginning of the class cos I broke down (oops). We did a retrieve, which was a messy pick up, but other than that ok. I know the object he's retrieving is causing most of the problems (it's rubber, so it bounces uncontrollably and gets "slimy" and it's small so not the best to pick up, But it's all he will retrieve atm. I keep meaning to see about putting some fleece round the middle to see if that'll help). Then they did scent, which I haven't taught Solei yet so we watched...I've now been told how to start him off, so that's something new to work on! And send away - which Solei did very nicely :-) We have two weeks off now, and then Solei's group go out to the polo field whilst the other groups stay at the hall (but move outside).

I've been struggling as to what to do with Ria and Elton....I really want to do something with them, Elton in particular because I want to give him so more focused "Elton time" beyond the show ring, especially now our sessions at home are almost non-existent. Solei has obedience on a Monday and agility on a Thursday, as of next week Ria has ringcraft on a Tuesday and Elton only has shows at the weekend...I haven't been doing obedience with Elton because he really didn't seem to like the hall, and there is no new puppy class (for Ria) until June.

Lying in bed this morning I suddenly had a thought....as the hall classes are moving outside as long as it's dry it would definitely be worth trying Elton there again (only on weeks they will be outside!) and I reckon if I speak nicely to them it would be worth trying Ria in the next class up (they have 4 classes, puppy, bottom, middle, top). Elton is currently in this class, but I think he's probably capable of the third class, and a friend is currently taking that class anyway....so I think maybe it's time for musical dogs! I remember when I had Solei in the first non-puppy class it's quite basic - loose lead walking, sit/down/stand stays for 1 minute only a few paces away, waiting to eat, play retrieve, recall. And that's what you're working towards by the end of the class, not what you're expected to do to be able to do to join it!

It's impossible to do the polo field and the hall because the classes run concurrently in the summer. So I'm going to speak to them about Elton & Ria (and get Elton to one of the bottom classes as a quick refresher course!) and if they're happy I'll alternate...some weeks take Solei up to the polo field, some weeks take Elton & Ria to the hall. Hopefully everyone'll be happy, dogs included :-)

I took all three to be microchipped yesterday. I've been meaning to get Solei and Elton done for ages (Solei's chip has gone walkabout, Elton I was waiting until he was an adult and hadn't got around to it) but I found a good deal and with Ria arriving as well I figured I'd get on and get it done. They all cried, but poor Elton has a big bloody spot on his neck and he's the one that made the least fuss! The other two you can't even see where they had it done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment